Friday, April 22, 2011

Nicaragua April 21

9:26 PM
Lord, is this me putting up a mosquito net?????
Wonderful women here from LA who have adopted me. they will be here until Saturday then its me and three others. they have shown me the ropes and left off the bad stuff. i have also offered to buy up all thier extra bug spray.
Wedding tomorrow! Since my IPAD isn't synching yet, i'll shoot it via phone. I'm really cut off. Verizon lied to me.
Dinner prepared by local women. Rice, slaw, plantains and fried/baked pork and banana bread. i skipped the pork but muched the rest. i think its a vegetarian week. taking it easy.
took a walk and passed 10+ dogs today. They weren't thinking about me. i was still thinking about them but the whole place is overwhelming, they were only part of my focus. they are starving. one lady who takes a run in the mornings got bit!! she is still running.
this is the most depressed-not depressing but depressed-place i have ever been.
i can do this.

11:42 PM
So mosquito nets are hot. go figure. it a net, right? somehow the fact that it encases  you make it...a lot, also they flop down and touch you. at first they had no more for me but one girl brought 2. thank goodness-Vital said that the fan would "blow" them away. Really? Polite mosquitos in Blufields.
Yanna was so smart about the pepper spray-now that i'm not staying with Ketley i am a woman "alone". (she's 10 minutes away and i am on the church campus). 4get the dogs i planned (uh, was prepared to) spray. its by my pillow. i don't feel threatened but i am still a philly girl.
so since water is a premium, i learned don't get your washcloth too soapy-takes too long to rinse it before you can rinse your body.
 i know i'll get to the social/political/economic/cultural stuff soon. right now trying to adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment