Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crossed Wires

I planned to start off strong, reflective, and progressive...soaring on technology's ultra cool, ubiquitous wings.  

Instead, I started off tripping - metaphorically and physically- on the wires of my wireless journey into the blogosphere.

On Monday, the first day of my sabbatical, I took off for the Gulf coast of Florida, convinced that the blue waves and alabaster sand would both ease my transition and provide quality time to prepare for my leap into the future. I had gotten my wonderful I Pad ten days ago and, luckily for me, after only a few hours of impatient groaning and shaking (no kicking), I calmed down and let the device "guide" me to a successful setup. I was on my way!

My first dilemma arose when I tried to figure out how to carry this beautiful yet fragile techno-child. This is when I learned that while the I Pad is the heart of the matter, the case is the statement! There are scores of websites, dozens of colors, hundreds of options.

I chose carefully, and although pleased with my attractive tan leather case, I had no room to store my new broadband card and its two cords - one is 4 inches and connects to a USB port and the other, 4 feet, fits a standard wall outlet. Choosing this option over a cellular data plan, I have since learned that the broadband card must feed on both of these cords at an alarming rate. So, I found an old Blackberry case (retired now that PDA pockets are standard in purses), and went on.

My next challenge, after finding a willing, younger helper, was to upload, then download,  my Outlook essentials first to my ITunes and then to my I Pad. I did remember to bring my two-part, 8-foot laptop cord, but I forgot the 24-inch white cord (with the IPod rectangular end on one side and the USB on the other) that connects my I Pad to my laptop. By the way, this cord, used for downloading data, does not charge the I Pad even if the laptop is charging. To do that, you need the 4-foot wall cord with with the rectangular end--now my fourth since I have had three IPods.

Soon after my camera jumped into the fray. Now I don't expect to have to use this so much as my Blackberry and I Pad both have reasonably decent picture quality but since it's been almost a year since I downloaded photos, I need to get them onto my computer for uploading to my I Pad. One end of the camera cord is a standard USB however the other end, while bigger than a thimble, is smaller than the one on the broadband card.  I know that adding this cord to my collection is only good for me so that all these snarling snakes will be in one place.

And who knows, one day I may just want to take a picture without sharing it, texting it or fielding a few phone calls in between shots? (By the way, on the virtual side, I can’t seem to tweet or get internet on my Blackberry...my provider says I may need a new phone...my Blog site persists in bouncing me off; and every ten minutes my I Pad  reminds me that I don’t have a cellular data plan (tell me something I don’t know).   

In the technology world, to be compact, faster and leaner is to rule. What no one ever tells you about is all the stuff that makes the technology work.  By Thursday, the cords crisscrossing my beach condo resemble an intensive care unit for critically-ill devices. I have a gallon-sized (recyclable) bag to hold my 5 absolutely necessary cords and my 3 potentially necessary/extra cords; a full-sized briefcase for my laptop, I Pad, headphones and Kindle (yup, got one of those too, and, to ensure I remain nimble, it’s umbilical cord has a headphone jack on one end and USB on the other); and my phone, broadband and IPOD along with the rest of my life in my purse.  

It's time to write my inaugural blog and launch my immersion. My technology’s juiced...my nerves are frazzled...and my back aches. I'm on the ledge (oops, I mean EDGE!).

Yet like Beyonce, I am a survivor. I grab a book and go to the beach.

And live to fight another day.

4 comments:

  1. "What no one ever tells you about is all the stuff that makes the technology work." You've learned the ugly truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love it! A good book always saves the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley, I am sure there is an app for that. You just need to spend several hours in the app store looking for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. and the journey begins ... the technology is one part ... the feeling learning growing and then finally sharing and teaching is the other part ... each day will reveal a new truth ... and unmask a previously held one ...

    ReplyDelete