Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Agua, and other reflections

Agua
…purificada, to revive and replensish
…de pozo, to clean my body
…de la manguara, to rinse my clothes
…estancada, for waste and the grounds
…del crelo, fast, furious, acidic
…de mi botella, for the woman whose child was parched
…dulce, a precious commodity
…contaminada, conveying disease
…sin fluor, rotting teeth
…bajo el barco, for connections and commerce
…fria, for 20 cordoba
…caliente, under the blistening sun
…hirvienda, for my coffee
Agua…
Preciosamente.
Vida.
Existencia.

Updates:
  • I traveled to Kukra, a remote village today, which is very progressive http://www.missionbluefields.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=143. There is a stadium, better roads than Bluefields and many public works projects going on. We visited the church school which has 160 children. The scary part was taking the panga-see dock below-with more than 40 people on board; we were very very low in the water and held on for dear life.
  •  The water and electricity continue to play hide and seek and of course I am the one searching!
  • Despite language, my office skills came in handy yesterday. I designed the funeral program, based on knowledge of MS Word. It was a honor. I was also in charge of chairs-who got them, where they sat, etc. The loss of the Pastor was a blow to everyone.
  • I gotta figure out how to share the cacophony of sounds i awake to daily! Birds, dogs, Roosters, horses..and eventually people. At 5 AM
  • Out to a restaurant last night and had some of the best pizza in my life. Who would figure?
  • The smell of fire is constant and overwhelming. Everyones burns everything because there is no waste system. Yet still there is trash everywhere.
  • The Sandistinos are back in power and everyone is pleased. They believe the government is fair. Nicaraguans have a proud history of egalitarianism.


No comments:

Post a Comment